Most companies don’t realize the savings that MSD-injury prevention programs can yield. Look at the results that other companies have achieved by implementing onsite physical therapist-directed MSD prevention programs:
Our mentor in the field of worksite injury prevention, Dr. Lauren Hebert, Physical Therapist, and his team in Maine (www.impacc.com) have helped over 600 companies achieve impressive results with these programs, including:
- ELECTRICS G, Maine: Reduced MSD lost days from 757 to 9 lost days in 1 year. 98% reduction.
- ELECTRONICS G, New Hampshire: Reduced 67 MSD lost days from 67 to 28 days in 1 year. 60% decrease.
- ELECTRONICS H, Tennessee: Reduced MSD lost days from 247 to 20 days in 1 year. 92% reduction. CTD incident rated decreased 65%. Productivity improved, and valuable workplace cultural changes were recognized.
- ELECTRONICS A, Maine: Before program 3 claims per month affecting 30% of workers. After program 30 months of no claims. Productivity increased from 85% of standard to 102% of standard.
- CONSTRUCTION B, Maine: Reduced back-related lost days from 468 to 73 days in 1 year. 85% decrease.
- FOUNDRY C, Michigan; Reduced Worker Comp costs from $382,000 to $41,000. 89% decrease.
- AMMUNITION MFG, Kansas: Reduced MSD illness rate from 8.35 to 2.32. 72% decrease.
- FURNITURE MFG E, Vermont: 47% decrease in back lost days after back training program.
- HYDRAULICS MFG, Iowa; Reduced lost days from 142 to 71, 50% reduction; Reduced restricted days from 903 to 16. 98% reduction.
- LEATHER TANNERY P, Maine: Reduced MSD costs in worst department from $330,000 to $9,000. 97% decrease
- YACHT BUILDER, Michigan: Reduced Worker Comp bills from $500,000 to $50,000 in 1 year. 90% decrease.
- GOVT OFFICES VA, Maine: Reduced MSD incident rate from 3.0% to 0.3% after program. 90% decrease.
- CITY PUBLIC WORKS DEPT L, Maine: Musculoskeletal injury costs reduced 80% after program.
- PUBLIC UTILITY B, Maine: Reduced back-related injury claims from 40% to 17% of claims.
In The News
- DENVER POLICE DEPT, Colorado: $8M saved in Workers Comp in 2 years after hiring onsite physical therapists. KDVR – Denver police physical therapist treats officers, saves city millions
- DENVER FIRE DEPT, Colorado: 42% drop in dept wide medical costs in 1 year. Denver Post – How the Denver Fire Department is treating firefighters like pro athletes to get them back to work.
- U.S. SPECIAL OPERATIONS COMMAND, Human Performance Program, Preservation of the Force and Family initiative, established 2008. – “It is really an opportunity physically to get them back up to speed as quickly as we can, and we have seen some tremendous results as a function of that.” – Admiral William McRaven 2014